Nursing Diagnosis for Headache. Nursing Interventions for Acute Pain related to Headaches.
Acute pain related to stess and tension, irritation / nerve pressure, vasospasm, increased intracranial pressures.
Nursing Interventions for Acute Pain related to Headache:
- Make sure the duration / episode problems, who have been consulted, and drug and / or what therapy was used.
- Thorough complaints of pain, record the intensity (with a scale of 0-10), characteristics (eg, heavy, throbbing, constant) location, duration, factors that aggravate or relieve.
- Note the possible pathophysiological characteristic, such as brain / meningeal / sinus infection, cervical trauma, hypertension, or trauma.
- Observe for nonverbal signs of pain, are like: facial expression, posture, restlessness, crying / grimacing, withdrawal, diaphoresis, changes in heart rate / breathing, blood pressure.
- Assess the relationship of physical factors / emotional state of a person.
- Evaluation of pain behavior
- Note the influence of pain such as: loss of interest in life, decreased activity, weight loss.
- Assess the degree of making a false step in person from the patient, such as isolating themselves.
- Determine the issue of a second party to the patient / significant others, such as insurance, spouse / family
- Discuss the physiological dynamics of tension / anxiety with patients / people nearby.
- Instruct patient to report pain immediately if the pain arises.
- Place on a rather dark room according to the indication.
- Suggest to rest in a quiet room.
- Give cold compress on the head.
- Give the hot moist compress / dry on the head, neck, arms as needed.
- Massage the head / neck / arm if the patient can tolerate the touch.
- Use the techniques of therapeutic touch, visualization, biofeedback, hypnosis itself, and stress reduction and relaxation techniques to another.
- Instruct the patient to use a positive statement "I am cured, I'm relaxing, I love this life". Instruct the patient to be aware of the external-internal dialogue and say "stop" or "delay" if it comes up negative thoughts.
- Observe for nausea / vomiting. Give the ice, drinks containing carbonate as indicated.